Google Nexus One owners rejoice, as Android 4.4 KitKat is not an impossible dream for them. Although unofficial, the latest version of the operating system is now available for the first Nexus smartphone launched by Google.
The custom build was released courtesy of XDA Recognized Developer texasice, along with his team, and is based on AOSP.
However, this unofficial Android 4.4 KitKat ROM for Nexus One also contains extra features that enhance functionality even further, which can be disabled.
The bad news is that some things are not working yet and there’s no telling whether they will be fixed anytime soon. Developers of the ROM have confirmed that the ART compiler in KitKat does not work, so it should not be used as it causes bootloops.
Then, there’s the graphics drivers that are not yet fully compatible and not working as they should. Last but not least, users won’t be able to take screenshots on the phone, and the camera may not work perfectly.
Nexus One users who aren’t concerned by the bugs and broken features of this port can flash the ROM on their smartphones and take advantage of the rest of Android 4.4 KitKat functionality. Here is a rundown of the basic and extra features included in this ROM:
- Extended PowerMenu;
- Battery %;
- Volume button music control;
- Trackball Wake;
- Theme manager.
- Sixbar signal strength;
- Lockscreen dialpad, and a few lockscreen mods;
- However our biggest feature is the ability to turn all that off with one switch in the toolbox, giving you 100% AOSP look and feel;
- We also do eng builds (instead of userdebug like everyone else) providing more open experience (ie adb root by default) and full complement of commandline tools (busybox, vim, ssh, curl/wet with ssl support!);
- Our newest addition is a custom updater written from scratch by Preludedrew and myself, featuring automatic update checks, support for downloading gapps, and advanced automatic install (TWRP and CWM supported but TWRP preferred).
For more details on how to download and install the unofficial Android 4.4 KitKat ROM for Google Nexus One, you may want to head over to the original thread on XDA Developers forum.