It was just yesterday that the unofficial Android 4.3 update for the Samsung Galaxy S III leaked. It looked like the real deal but the ROM lacked KNOX security support and widgets were still using the old TouchWiz design.
Today this very same build is seeding as the official update to Vodafone Ireland Galaxy S III units. As it turns out this is indeed the official update despite some features still missing when compared to the S4 build (albeit features that were never promised in the first place).
The Android 4.3 update weighs in at about 932MB, so make sure you have enough space left in your Galaxy S III. Here is a thorough changelog for the 4.3 update:
- GALAXY GEAR Support
- TRIM Support (faster UI)
- ANT+ Support
- Core UI elements get the new TouchWiz look (not widgets and icons though)
- New Samsung Keyboard
- GPU drivers have been updated
- New Lockscreen: Multiple Widgets, improved ripple effect than Android 4.1.2, ability to change clock size and set a personal message
- New Display modes: Adapt Display and Professional Photo
- Driving mode
- Actionable notifications
- Move-to-SD-card feature
- New Camera mode : Sound and Shot
- New Additions in Notification Center
- Tabbed Settings UI
- Implementation of Voice controls
- New Samsung Apps: Calculator, Clock, Contacts, Gallery, Music
- Full screen Samsung apps
- New S-Voice
So, there you have it. Samsung was either in a hurry or it decided not to bring the launcher looks up to date. Yes, the core applications and UI elements look like the ones on the Galaxy S4, but the whole skin is still the same the Galaxy S III users had on their phones since they bought it.
Ireland is the first country to get the update, but many more markets should follow suit shortly. To get the update, keep an eye on both the OTA interface and Samsung's Kies tool.