Apple launched two big software updates today; one for its desktop/laptop family of products, and one for its mobile devices.
The OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.2 update adds some new functionality to the operating system like Facebook and Game Center integration, and a host of updates including:
- Adds Power Nap support for MacBook Air (Late 2010)
- iMessages sent to your phone number now appear in Messages on your Mac
- You can now add passes to Passbook (on your iPhone or iPod touch) from Safari and Mail on your Mac
- FaceTime can now receive calls sent to your phone number
- New shared Reminders lists
- New sort options allow you to sort notes by title, the date you edited them, and when you created them
- Dictation now supports additional languages: Mandarin, Cantonese, Spanish, Korean, Canadian English, Canadian French, and Italian
- Dictionary app now includes a French definition dictionary
- Sina Weibo profile photos can now be added to Contacts
OS X 10.8.2 also provides a number of software fixes. You can download OS X 10.8.2 by choosing Software Update from the Apple menu or directly here.
Apple has also officially released iOS 6 for the iPad 2/3, iPhone 3GS/4/4S, and iPod touch. IOS 6 brings Apple's homegrown Maps application, Facebook integration, a vastly improved Siri engine, new Phone app options, and Passbook. You can read more about iOS 6 here.
IOS 6 can be downloaded from within iTunes or upgraded directly from your iOS device by going to Settings --> Software Update.