Fujitsu sells off HDD business to Toshiba

Fujitsu logoFujitsu this morning said it has struck a deal to transfer its hard drive business to Toshiba. A memorandum between the two will see Fujitsu spin off its storage efforts into a separate company and let Toshiba buy an 80 percent stake in the project, with Fujitsu eventually letting go of the remaining 20 percent. The decision is largely prompted by Fujitsu's potential $112 million loss in the division.

Although the agreement itself will be signed soon, the two expect the actual deal to take place in Toshiba's first fiscal quarter, which starts in April.

Toshiba positions the deal as particularly advantageous in giving it a much stronger position in small hard drives, such as those it builds for notebooks and portable media players. The Japanese electronics firm also sees the plan as an opportunity to branch out into hybrid flash/rotating and pure solid-state drives for servers and other business-class storage.

The shift also creates added competition for Hitachi, Seagate and Western Digital, all of whom are Toshiba's closest rivals.

Source: electronista

Tags: Fujitsu, HDDs, Toshiba

Comments
Add comment

Your name:
Sign in with:
or
Your comment:


Enter code:

E-mail (not required)
E-mail will not be disclosed to the third party


Last news

 
This means Apple now commands 23% of the wearable market
 
Linux on Galaxy adds convergence capabilities to your phone
 
The Vive Focus is powered by the advanced features of the Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 VR Platform
 
YouTube is now removing the ability for creators to promote videos
 
Microsoft says that it will be very simple to port across a list of contacts
 
But Broadcom is still "fully committed" to the acquisition
 
ing-Chi Kuo of KGI says the two models with OLED panels will basically have the same top of the line innards
 
The new release sees the debut of Mozilla’s next-generation browsing engine
The Samsung Galaxy A5 (2017) Review
The evolution of the successful smartphone, now with a waterproof body and USB Type-C
February 7, 2017 /
Samsung Galaxy TabPro S - a tablet with the Windows-keyboard
The first Windows-tablet with the 12-inch display Super AMOLED
June 7, 2016 /
Keyboards for iOS
Ten iOS keyboards review
July 18, 2015 /
Samsung E1200 Mobile Phone Review
A cheap phone with a good screen
March 8, 2015 / 4
Creative Sound Blaster Z sound card review
Good sound for those who are not satisfied with the onboard solution
September 25, 2014 / 2
Samsung Galaxy Gear: Smartwatch at High Price
The first smartwatch from Samsung - almost a smartphone with a small body
December 19, 2013 /
 
 

News Archive

 
 
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
   1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
2627282930  




Poll

Do you use microSD card with your phone?
or leave your own version in comments (4)