Toshiba buys 30% of SanDisk capacity for $1B

Logo ToshibaToshiba on Monday announced it has acquired 30 percent of SanDisk's NAND flash memory production capacity for $1 billion. Toshiba has been previously interested in purchasing SanDisk entirely, after Samsung made a similar bid for the flash memory maker. Toshiba's purchase will allow it to boost its NAND memory capacity quicker and for less money than investing in its own operations. The two companies already have joint NAND operations that produce 300mm wafers, and the purchase represents a reshuffling of those assets between the companies.

Two factories in Japan are currently equally shared between the Toshiba and SanDisk under three joint ventures, but the new agreement will make Toshiba the sole owner of 30 percent of the resulting capacity, with the remaining 70 percent still shared equally between the existing joint ventures. Toshiba hopes to turn the newly acquired capacity into increased sales, as the company believes demand will grow by 200 percent annually thanks to the increasing popularity of devices that use the memory, including MP3 players, digital cameras and smartphones.

Earlier this year, Samsung has made a $5.85 billion bid to buy SanDisk, which was turned down. Some analysts have said today's news strengthens the possibility of a deal between Samsung and SanDisk is forthcoming, basing it largely on the belief Toshiba wouldn't alter its existing agreements if it didn't think Samsung will eventually purchase SanDisk.

Source: electronista

Tags: Samsung, SanDisk, Toshiba

Comments
Add comment

Your name:
Sign in with:
or
Your comment:


Enter code:

E-mail (not required)
E-mail will not be disclosed to the third party


Last news

 
Sales of new models way below those of 2017 generation
 
The new Windows 10 browser will run on the Chromium engine
 
Google will shut the service down in April of 2019 instead of August as initially planned
 
The regular S10 will sport a 6.1-inch panel with the same front-facing camera design
 
The smartphone has a 6.4-inch Full HD+ (2340 x 1080 pixel) Infinity-O display
 
Google Play Services will deprecate the aging OS in newer releases
 
Apple might be looking to trial the feature on the iPad before iPhone
 
Toshiba, which released the world’s first 14TB nearline 3.5-inch and 26.1mm-height HDDs with 9-disk
The Samsung Galaxy A5 (2017) Review
The evolution of the successful smartphone, now with a waterproof body and USB Type-C
February 7, 2017 /
Samsung Galaxy TabPro S - a tablet with the Windows-keyboard
The first Windows-tablet with the 12-inch display Super AMOLED
June 7, 2016 /
Keyboards for iOS
Ten iOS keyboards review
July 18, 2015 /
Samsung E1200 Mobile Phone Review
A cheap phone with a good screen
March 8, 2015 / 4
Creative Sound Blaster Z sound card review
Good sound for those who are not satisfied with the onboard solution
September 25, 2014 / 2
Samsung Galaxy Gear: Smartwatch at High Price
The first smartwatch from Samsung - almost a smartphone with a small body
December 19, 2013 /
 
 

News Archive

 
 
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
      1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
3031     




Poll

Do you use microSD card with your phone?
or leave your own version in comments (11)