Google Chrome overtakes IE as world’s number 1 browser

Google Chrome logoMicrosoft itself kind of abandoned Internet Explorer with the release of Windows 10, so it was only a matter of time until the browser lost the first place in market share rankings across the world.

Now new figures provided by Net Applications for the month of April 2016 show that Internet Explorer’s market share keeps going down, while Google Chrome grows at a rather fast pace.

So in April, Google Chrome finally managed to overtake Internet Explorer after so many years as a runner-up, with the next few months expected to increase the gap between the two browsers.

Last month, Google Chrome managed to take over the leading spot by reaching 41.72 percent, while Internet Explorer dropped to 40.67 percent. This switch of places is not at all surprising given the fact that Internet Explorer is no longer the default Windows browser and more people are moving to Windows 10, so Microsoft kind of expected this to happen.

On the other hand, it’s surprising to see Google Chrome growing so fast when powerful choices such as Mozilla Firefox are being left behind.

At this point, Firefox is running on only 10.14 percent of PCs across the world, according to Net Applications, so there’s no doubt that Chrome is the big winner of Internet Explorer’s demise. Opera, another popular choice these days, is even more behind with just 1.97 percent.

Windows 10 comes with Microsoft Edge as the default browser, but until now, this new app is growing at a rather slow pace.

Microsoft Edge 13 (the version included in Windows 10 1511/November Update) is running on 4.07 percent, while Edge (install in the original Windows 10 build 10240) has a share of only 0.57 percent. Combined, Edge is being used on 4.64 percent of PCs across the world, and although that might seem a small number, keep in mind that the new browser’s market share is impacted by its rather limited availability.

Microsoft Edge is exclusive to Windows 10 and for the moment, there are no plans to bring it on other platforms, such as older Windows versions or Linux/Mac. Furthermore, Microsoft keeps improving Edge with new features and the upcoming Anniversary Update will bring a plethora of these, including extension support.

Source: Softpedia

Tags: browsers, Chrome, Google

Comments
Add comment

Your name:
Sign in with:
or
Your comment:


Enter code:

E-mail (not required)
E-mail will not be disclosed to the third party


Last news

 
Consumer group recommends iPhone 8 over anniversary model
 
LTE connections wherever you go and instant waking should come to regular PCs, too
 
That fiction is slowly becoming a reality
 
The Snapdragon 845 octa-core SoC includes the Snapdragon X20 LTE modem
 
Human moderators can help make YouTube a safer place for everyone
 
Google says Progressive Web Apps are the future of app-like webpages
 
All 2018 models to sport the 'notch'
 
The biggest exchange in South Korea, where the BTC/KRW pair is at $14,700 now
The Samsung Galaxy A5 (2017) Review
The evolution of the successful smartphone, now with a waterproof body and USB Type-C
February 7, 2017 /
Samsung Galaxy TabPro S - a tablet with the Windows-keyboard
The first Windows-tablet with the 12-inch display Super AMOLED
June 7, 2016 /
Keyboards for iOS
Ten iOS keyboards review
July 18, 2015 /
Samsung E1200 Mobile Phone Review
A cheap phone with a good screen
March 8, 2015 / 4
Creative Sound Blaster Z sound card review
Good sound for those who are not satisfied with the onboard solution
September 25, 2014 / 2
Samsung Galaxy Gear: Smartwatch at High Price
The first smartwatch from Samsung - almost a smartphone with a small body
December 19, 2013 /
 
 

News Archive

 
 
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
     12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
24252627282930
31      




Poll

Do you use microSD card with your phone?
or leave your own version in comments (4)